Friday 27 August 2010

Why me?

Didn't know what to call this one, but that title seems appropriate.  Okay, draws a deep breath...

When I saw the chemotherapy oncologist I got the impression things would happen reasonably quickly, sure I needed a few tests (kidneys, hearing, lungs) before we start, but those can be taken care of whilst my oncologist was on holiday.  I left that meeting with him that I'd be starting 1st September (Wednesday), so I was somewhat surprised to have come home today and still not received any formal notification of that start date.

I ring up and... what do you know?  I'm not on the in-patients system.  So that causes a slight flap and a few more phonecalls, and now I am (apparently nothing more malicious than a small mistake).  Okay, so I am on the system, now the next part of the saga... I understood that I was to have another CT scan before we start (to see whether my lump has grown or not) and I have an appointment for that - 17:00 on 1st September; now I'm no expert but that seems somewhat late in the day if I am supposed to start my therapy on the Wednesday morning.  So I query this and what do you know... they don't know anything about that appointment and whether it should be before, or after the start of the therapy, and the consultant is on holiday and no body seems to know - until next week.  The lady I spoke did confirm that I had a CT scan appointment in the system, but I knew that, what I don't know is whether or not it should be before the start of the chemotherapy or not.

And that's where I am - waiting for what should be simple information, but being frustrated (and concerned - they are supposed to be professionals) about the whole thing.  I am feeling my blood pressure going up...

No comments:

Post a Comment